To reserve your space in class, please call the store at 613-820-2201
- Please register early for classes as we require time to prepare kits and class handouts. Classes and clubs with insufficient registration will be cancelled with 72 hours notice given to those who are registered in the class.
- Class size is limited and registration is accepted in the order that payment is received.
- Unless stated otherwise, classes and workshops that are listed here are for adult participants.
- Visitors, including infants and children are not permitted in classes or workshops.
- Supply costs are extra. Supply lists are provided at the time of registration and all supplies must be purchased from SEW for IT!
- Please book a machine at the time of registration if you do not wish to bring your own sewing machine. Students must provide their own Schmetz needles, appropriate machine bobbins and good quality thread, such as our Mettler and Gutermann threads.
Please note that fall classes are now complete, but information will remain here for reference only. This section will be updated as new classes become available.
Take the first step toward using your serger to its full potential! This initial 2 week class is an overview of the serger and a guide to troubleshooting. The first week focuses on the components of the serger, maintenance and threading. The second class looks at the various stitches and their uses. Upon completion of this course, students are invited to register for Serger Club projects to explore specialty techniques and construction details using the serger.
Students are required to supply their own serger for this class.
COST: $50 ($0 if serger purchased from SEW for IT!) plus $10 kit fee
STARTS: Friday, September 29 from 10 a.m. to noon for 2 weeks
Saturday, October 21 from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. for 2 weeks
Sewing Machine Basics
This is an orientation class for sewing machine owners. Topics covered include threading, winding bobbins, choosing needles and threads, hem and seam finishes and zipper application. Cleaning and maintenance will also be discussed. Students are required to purchase a supply kit of all fabrics and notions to complete a tote bag in class.
COST: $60 (or $0 if machine was purchased from SEW for IT!) plus $25 kit fee
STARTS: Wednesday, September 27 from 10 a.m. to noon for 3 weeks
Saturday, October 21 from 10 a.m. to noon for 3 weeks
Introduction to Sewing
Designed for those with no previous sewing experience, this class teaches the student how to use commercial patterns and take accurate measurements, select the correct pattern size and choose appropriate fabrics and notions. Students will then be guided step-by-step through construction of their project(s).
COST: $85 plus supplies
STARTS: Saturday, November 18 from 10 a.m. to noon for 4 weeks
Introduction to Quilting
This class starts with colour theory and fabric selection and preparation. In the following weeks, you will learn many tips and hints to cut accurately, piece blocks precisely and assemble the layers of your quilt top. Machine quilting, making a label and binding complete the quilt. No previous sewing or quilting experience is required.
COST: $95 plus supplies
STARTS: Tuesday, October 3 from 10 a.m. to noon for 8 weeks.
Saturday, October 21 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. for 8 weeks
This has been a very popular class on Thursdays for several years! As requested, another session has been added on Tuesday afternoon. This is for those with some sewing or quilting experience. Students in this class work on the sewing, quilting or serging project of their choice with assistance from the instructor when needed.
COST: $60 plus supplies
STARTS: Tuesday, October 3 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. for 6 weeks